The Message of the Resurrection is outlined in Matthew 28:5-7
- Jesus has been crucified
- Jesus has been buried – They looked for Him at the tomb (v.5 and Matthew 27:61)
- Jesus has risen from the dead
- GO and TELL (v. 7 and Matthew 28:18-20)
1. Jesus has been crucified in our place to pay the penalty for our sins
- All are sinners – Ecclesiastes 7:20: Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.
- All are dead in sin – separated from God (Ephesians 2:1-3; Romans 6:23: For the wages of sin is death… physical and spiritual death)
- Jesus was separated from God the Father in our place – “My God, my God, why have you forsaken* me?” Matthew 27:46 *forsaken = left behind; desert (Strong’s Definition 1459)
- Our rebellion was laid on Him, and He faced God’s punishment for it – Isaiah 53:5-6
- 1 Peter 2:24: He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.
- He served us by giving His life to pay for our sins – Mark 10:45
Result: All who believe in Him…
- Are forgiven (Ephesians 1:7-8)
- Are given eternal life (John 3:16; John 5:24)
- Are saved from judgement (John 5:24; Romans 8:1)
- United to Jesus in His death (Romans 6:5-7, 11)
- Set free from sin (1 Peter 2:24)
- Set free to serve God (1 Peter 2:24)
2. Jesus was buried in a tomb as proof of His death
- Matthew 27:57-61, 62
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
3. Jesus came back to life from the dead
But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Matthew 28:5-6 (emphasis mine)
Jesus’ resurrection was…
- Foretold (Psalm 16:10; Matthew 16:21, 17:22-23, 20:17-19; Matthew 28:6)
- Literal, physical (vv. 6, 9) – His body was gone! The women grasped His feet in worship.
- Seen by eye witnesses (vv. 9, 16-20; Acts 1:3; 1 Corinthians 15:5-8 – 500+)
- Declared Jesus to be the Son of God in power by the Holy Spirit (Romans 1:4)
God has publicly declared that Jesus’ death was the perfect payment for sins, and He has received that payment for all who believe in Jesus.
Now Jesus has been exalted to the Father’s right hand as Prince and Savior (Acts 5:31)
Results: All who trust Him are…
- Declared right with God (Romans 4:25)
- Forgiven and set free from sin (1 Corinthians 15:16-17, 20)
- United to Him in His resurrection (Romans 6:4-11; Ephesians 2:4-5)
- Alive with Jesus to live for God (Romans 6:4-11) – empowered to do so.
Results: All who trust Him have…
- Jesus as our life (Gal. 2:20; Col. 3:4)
- Confidence that…
- Death does not have victory over us (1 Corinthians 15:51-58)
- That our bodies will be raised up, just as Jesus’ has (1 Thess. 4:13-18)
How do we respond?
- Repent (change your mind) toward God and His News about His Son.
- Believe on the Lord Jesus – accept what Jesus Christ has done on your behalf as a gift (Acts 16:31; Romans 6:23). – Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you WILL be saved…
- Promise: You will be saved from sin and hell, given new life, given the promised Holy Spirit
- We take God at His Word – we continue to stand in this Good News and walk in Jesus as our Lord (Colossians 2:6)
- We find deep happiness, contentedness, and completion in the finished work of Jesus – Matthew 28:8 – Great Joy!
- Obey the command to go and tell, believing His promise: We go in the power of His presence! (Matthew 28:20)
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. May not copy or download more than 500 consecutive verses of the ESV Bible or more than one half of any book of the ESV Bible.